>
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Au Naturale- Nutrition Edition! (Grains and FCLO)

If you missed Sunday's introduction, click HERE!Wednesday's post about salt and yogurt, click HERE!

Monday's post about sugar and dairy, click HERE!
Tuesdays' post about eggs and butter, click HERE!

DISCLAIMER: I am not a nutritionist, doctor or even a scientist.  My only expertise is that I love food and am highly motivated to do what is best for my family!  It can be difficult to read various studies all of whom demonize the other side and claim to be right.   I am trying to find the truth about nutrition, and am using this series to document and share what I've learned and concluded

SOAKED GRAINS
I've been making my own bread regularly for at least a year now and have learned how to manage it well.  I always make two loaves at a time.  I slice them both- keep what we need out and freeze the rest.  When I get down to one loaf in the freezer, I make another batch.  I aim to make bread on Tuesdays because this is laundry day- a day I simply must be home all day to keep that laundry moving.  The bread doesn't take much hands on time, but it does require me to be home to  punch it down and let it rise some more.  I wrote about more bread tips HERE.

My new favorite recipe for whole wheat bread came in last month's Cooking Illustrated.  It involves soaking your grains over night and creating a biga.  The article explained that soaking your grains allows you to use MUCH more whole wheat in your recipe.  This bread rises beautifully (see picture) and yet is 60% whole wheat!  The article explains how in the initial recipe, 40% was the maximum whole wheat that could be used.  After soaking the grains, they were able to increase the ratio to 60%!  That's a fifty percent increase!

So imagine my surprise as I begin researching traditional foods and discover that traditional cooks believe ALL grains should be soaked!  I even downloaded an ebook on it!  Here's why:

  • Grains are seeds
  • Grains are intended to pass through your body undigested so as to be planted elsewhere.  They contain anti-nutrients to prevent digestion.  
  • Soaking your grains begins the sprouting process and allows your body to digest these seeds and absorb the nutrients they offer.

This information came from Kitchen Stewardship.  For this and more go HERE!  Katie is a Catholic blogger passionate about nutrition and traditional foods. I find her blog very helpful! 

Got gluten?  Seeing "gluten-free" products isn't surprising anymore.  Everyone knows someone who's gluten-free.  (There are many gluten-free blog readers in this circle!)  Nourishing Traditions explains that expecting your digestive system to process whole grains over a long period of time causes enormous strain on it, and "when this mechanism breaks down with age or overuse, the results take the form of allergies, celiac disease, mental illness, chronic indigestion and candida albicans overgrowth" (Nourishing Traditions, pg. 453)

Soaked grains are nothing new.  In fact, it seems to be an art that is lost.  Grains have been soaked in cultures around the world: Africa, India, Latin America, Europe and America (the pioneer days).  

Remember the WHEY I collected when making yogurt?  This provides a slightly acidic environment which breaks apart the phytic acid in seeds and frees all the nutrients.  

I used to be addicted to Quak.er Oats Maple and Brown Sugar oatmeal.  I snubbed any other type of oatmeal and would buy at least ten boxes when it went on sale.  This changed when I cut sugar.  

Now I take a half cup of steel-cut oats, a half cup of warm water, and a tablespoon of WHEY, stir it up, and let it sit overnight!  In the morning I pour a half cup of water and some unrefined sea salt into a pot, add my oat mixture, and let it simmer for five minutes.  Then I add some milk and maple syrup and voilà!  REAL oatmeal!!!

In conclusion, there appears to be some healthy debate on whether soaking is truly necessary for everything, but I love it for my bread and oats at the very least.  It allows me to eat so much more whole grain AND makes my oatmeal cooking time super fast in the morning!  

FCLO/BO

Say what???   Brace yourself: fermented cod liver oil and butter oil.  Yep.  I started taking this during Lent periodically, and have been consistent for the last few weeks.  Originally was taking 1/2 tsp in the mornings, but now I take 1 tsp twice a day.  I have to have a "chaser".  I won't "let" myself drink my coffee in the morning and chai tea in the evening until I've had my vitamins!  Bribery works!  So WHY am I subjecting myself to this?

Fermented cod liver oil is extremely high in vitamins A and D, and rich in Omega 3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA).  It helps the immune system, contributes to good bone health and helps protect against cancer.  Fermented high vitamin CLO is twice as effective as regular CLO.  Furthermore- the brand you select is extremely important.  Most manufactures of CLO strip it of all vitamins while cleaning, then add artificial vitamins.  The ratio of Vitamin A to D can vary greatly in these instances. 

I take Green Pastures high vitamin fermented CLO and Butter Oil blend that is naturally produced without any synthetic vitamins. 

High vitamin butter oil comes from pasture raised cows and provides vitamins A, D, E and K as well as co-enzymes.  It is made by centrifuging butter at a low temperature which concentrates the nutrients. 

When CLO and butter oil are taken together, they work synergistically.  Butter oil is high in Omega 6, while CLO is high in Omega 3.  Butter oil provides saturated fats which help fully utelize the unsaturated fats of CLO. 

This is my current grand experiment.  I just ordered three more bottles of this blend, and am going to see how my body responds.  I read this AMAZING post about a cavity healing simply by taking this blend.  I currently have a cavity that needs to be filled.  

Sound  FISHY?  :)  It does to me,too, but if this works for me, I'll be a believer for life!  (I'll keep you updated!)

ONE MORE DAY!  Come back tomorrow for thoughts on random odds and ends and HOMEMADE BABY FORMULA!

15 comments:

Sew said...

I want to live next to you.

Sew said...

when you say "soak" grains...Is that soak flour? I'm so confused? Did it say that up there...I have a screaming baby. I can go back and read it. :)

Sew said...

I forgot to subscribe...But actually if you have this much influence on me this far away, if I lived next to you, I would be digging in the backyard a cold cellar...So probably good you live down there!

Also, why would BO benefit if you are already taking butter? Not do the same thing? I'm ordering the gel caps today, I'm not taking the gel. I've tried it and can't seem to maintain it. I was up to 1T a day.....Crazy! :) My skin was beautiful. :)

Do you feel like I'm stalking you! I feel CRAZY!! hahahaha

Not gonna forget to sign up this time and leaving now. :)

Megan said...

Okay this is so cool! I am excited because baking our own bread is something I would love to do! Anything that let's me use my Kitchen Aid mixer more is a winner in my eyes! I am curious how you soak it too! I kind of looked it up briefly yesterday to prepare myself in case you were going to say that we should only be eating Ezekiel bread.... But it looked like they were just soaking the flour. Is that right?

So are the caplets as effective as the straight oil? I have never even heard of this before! Is it expensive?

Sew, I too feel like I'm a copy cat! I was working on my jam post, and it very similar to yours, Lauren!! :) haha

Megan said...

I forgot to subscribe...but I also was hoping you could either post or email me the bread recipe! :)

Megan said...

And now I will actually remember to hit subscribe... Geez...

Sew said...

OMGOSH.I.need.a.life.

Megan, I'm gonna go with probably not as effective, but more effective if I take them regularly then the straight fermented gel. ;) But I'm hoping L will answer that.... I have a jar of gel in the fridge that just sits there. Pills will be easier for me to take and so I'm going with "better to buy real butter that isn't orgnaic then margarine" scenerio! ;) Not expesive $30 for 2 months worth on the caps.

I didn't blog about my jamming experience because I already feel as if I'm a ticking time bomb on Lauren's post. I seriously look like her mini me at this point! ;) But I'm already 22 jars in on the canning...Heaven help me.

I can't wait to read your post? It really should be a sin to buy jam ever again with how easy it is. And next year we will already have the jars we won't need to buy them again cutting down the expense even more! ;)

Must clean this house. ;)

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

YOu girls crack me up! And I hope to read about your canning experience SOON!!! Megan- I Hoep yours isn't like mine in that you forgot the pectin! Sheesh...

Yes when I say soak grains, I mean flour or whatever else I'musing- oats, whole wheat flour, bran, even nuts apparently. (I haven't tried that yet, but do need to make more granola and might experiment with soaking the nuts.)

The butter oil is so much more concentrated without any of the solids in it that it is a powerhouse. The Green Pastures brand uses low heat and centrifical (sp?) force to collect their oil rather than high heat to make ghee.

I LOL'ed at Sew's comment about pills are more effective if you actually take them! (as opposed to the oil) I bought the oil because it's a better price per serving. I just have a chaser ready- coffee or chai tea.

I was reading more about FCLO last night and how it is "critical for redressing the widespread deficiencies in vitamins A and D in the modern diet" (Eat Fat, Lose FAt, pg. 99).

Sew- a tablespoon a day????? Wow. You're a rockstar.

Megan- I'll be happy to share the recipe, but I don't have access to it right now! I'll post it soon!!

Y"all are the best!

Anonymous said...

Your bread looks beautiful. Have you ever heard of the book Home Baking? It has recipes from around the world. It is a wonderful book. They use bigas aad no yeast. The breads are great. Love these posts.

Sew said...

Do not get me started, my CCL lady had me going crazy when she introduced this to me. I seriously should call her! :) I think I actually believed that if I took as much CLO as I could I would get pregnant....My charts were seemingly normal even though I think I had erradic temps (before all surgeries etc). Nutrition sally fallon way would get Sew pregnant....Oh man....That is what started the craziness.

Let's just say I'm not upset by being introduced to SF but I totally started consuming lots of FCLO. :) I just can't do it anymore, I want to be more consistent. :) Reaching into the fridge when I take my 900 other supplements isn't going to happen! ;)

You soak them in water? Only for bread or cookies too? What do you soak them in? For some reason I can not read. ;) It's just too confusing. :) I make granola all the time, why would I soak that? Would I soak my GF oats too? Odd? :)

I was thinking that sf way of cooking is just like God. Fried food is the best and it would make sense that he wants us to eat, enjoy and savor! ;) Load on the butter etc..etc...Of course that is God! Low fat is not God! hahahaha

Julie said...

Love these posts. I only eat sprouted grain bread and only give Bella sprouted grain bread. These are both flour less. I didn't even know you could soak flour.
I think you should come visit and teach me how to make all these foods!!

Chasing said...

Can you share the recipe for the bread? How much water do you soak the flour in?

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

Sure! I'll share the recipe next week. (I don't have access to it right now.) But if you go to the Kitchen Stewardship link I provided, she gives a free ebook on all of this and it includes two recipes. I can't wait to try the 2nd recipe next week.

I actually soak the whole wheat in whole milk. I forget the exact proportions- but know it's two cups of milk. (I soak the 1/2 cup of oats in 1/2 cup of warm water with 1 tablespoon of whey.)

I should have explained why you can use more flour. Whole wheat includes the bran, which has a very sharp edge. As gluton tries to form (long strings of flour proteins), the bran cuts them, and they try to reform. It's kind of like cutting up a balloon, taping it back together, and then trying to blow it up. It just doesn't work very well! But when you soak the flour, it softens the bran. This way you can include MORE whole wheat flour and it can still create workable dough that rises beautifully!

That book sounds awesome! I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the tip!

Sew- I've never tried this with cookies. Let's just say taht when I bake cookies, I want to do it *right*, not healthy. I rarely bake these days, and want to fully enjoy it when I do! :)

Anonymous said...

I buy sprouted grain bread, but have never even thought of making my own. Is it truly as easy as you make it sound? I can't wait to see the recipe.

It was recently suggested that we put our son on a gluten-free diet because of how gluten can break down into toxins that can cloud thinking and slow processing. Is sprouted grain bread lower in gluten than regular bread? Looks like I'll need to pull out my NT book and see if it answers that. Maybe it's a mute point....even if it's lower in gluten it wouldn't be gluten free. UGH.

Thanks for the info on how fclo and bo work together. Looks like I'll be ordering that when our current supply runs out.

Beth said...

Sew you're nuts. I need to try the jam!